Thursday 19 July 2012

Rafael Nadal out of Olympic Games due to injury


 Defending Olympic champion Rafael Nadal drew out of the London Games with an unidentified fitness problem on Thursday, by winding up his chances to charming a second straight gold medal.  
“I am not in condition to compete in the London Olympics and therefore will not travel as planned with the Spanish delegation to take part in the games,” said by Nadal

He did not mention any definite injury, but he cancelled a charity match in Madrid on July 4 because of muscle problem in his left knee. He has had periodic knee problems in the past. He has not played any match    since he was eradicated in the second round of Wimbledon to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol, one of the most astounding results in the tournament’s history.

“I have to think about my companions, I can’t be selfish and I have to think of what’s best for Spanish sport, especially tennis and Spanish players and give fellow sportsmen with better preparation the chance to compete,” he said.

“I tried to hurry my preparations and training to the very last minute, but it was not to be,”

Nadal, who won the singles tournament at the 2008 Beijing Games, was fixed to be the flag holder for Spain during the opening ceremony.

He further added that this decision “is one of the saddest days of my career as one of my biggest desires, that of being Spain’s flag bearer in the opening ceremony of the games in London, cannot be. You can imagine how difficult it was to take this decision.”

1 comment: